The didactic areas of interest include the normal periodontium at the macro and microscopic level, periodontal pathology including intra-oral lesions associated with periodontal conditions, periodontal microbiology and immunology, pain control and pharmacology applicable to periodontal treatments, cell biology, wound healing including periodontal regeneration, dental implantology, case management, The department treats on an average of over 100 patients daily the treatments range from simple scaling to complicated procedure like Root planing, Curettage, Flap surgery, Regenerative procedures, Mucogingival surgical procedures, Laser surgeries and dental implants, Photodynamic Therapy and Low Level Laser Therapy.
is to undertake comprehensive training in periodontics at the UG & PG level, by incorporating high ethical standard in patient care and clinically significant research programs; by making use of the best available clinically skills, technology and evidence based treatment protocols for patient, all directed in the creation of successful doctors in the field of periodontics.
Dr. AMIT WALVEKAR
Professor and Head
Dr. Amith K.W completed his BDS from A.B. Shetty Mangalore in 2002 and his MDS (Periodontics) in 2007 from A.B. Shetty Mangalore. He is also a PG guide, has several ongoing research projects. He has got 12 national publications.
Dr. KRISHNARAJ G.N.
Dr. KRISHNARAJ G.N. completed his BDS from VSDC, Bangalore University in 1999 and his MDS (Periodontics) in 2004 from SDM College of Dental Sciences, RGUHS University and PhD in 2012 from University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He is also a PG guide, has several ongoing research projects with 4 international publications.
Dr. Jayaprakash completed his BDS from Farooqia Dental College, Mysore in 2001 and MDS (Periodontics), Narayana Dental College, Nellore, A.P. in 2010. He is also a PG guide, has several ongoing research projects with 13 national publications.
Dr. Radhika B completed her BDS from Al-Badar Rural Dental College, Gulbarga in 2004 and her MDS (Periodontics) in 2011 from College of Dental Sciences, Davangere. She is also a PG guide, has several ongoing research projects & 9 national publications.
Dr. VINESH KAMATH K.
Dr. Vinesh Kamath K. completed his BDS from NSVK Sri Venkateshwara Dental College & Hospital, Bangalore in 2006 and his MDS (Periodontics) in 2013 from C.I.D.S, Virajpet. He has 11 national publications.
Dr. BLECIT L ABRAHAM
Dr Blecit L Abraham completed his BDS in 2008 and MDS in 2017 from Coorg institute of dental sciences affiliated to RGUHS. He completed his certificate course in implantology from Nobel Biocare and laser dentistry from CIDS. Attended many conference and convention in dentistry in and around India. He has multiple articles on his credit.
Dr. KITH P. JOSE
Dr. Kith P. Jose completed his BDS in 2014 from The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai and MDS in 2017 from Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences affiliated to RGUHS. He has won the Indian society of periodontology merit award in 2013. He has presented on won multiple papers and posters in various conferences and has published articles in multiple national and international journals
Dr. UTHAPPA K B
Dr. Uthappa K.B completed her BDS in 2014 and MDS in 2018 from Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences affiliated to RGUHS. He has undergone training in the field of Implantology and Laser. He is certified in Microsurgery. He has numerous articles published in various national and international journals to his credit.
Dr. RASHMI S PATTANA SHETTY
Dr. Rashmi S Pattanshetty has completed her BDS in 2002 from Maratha Mandal Dental College affiliated to RGUHS and MDS in 2019 from Coorg institute of Dental Sciences affiliated to RGUHS. She has presented various posters and paper at national conference. She has numerous articles published in various national and International journals to her credit.
Scaling and root planing: Cleaning of teeth either manually by students or using ultrasonic scalers for patients requiring cleaning.
Facilities available in the surgical division:
For advanced gum infections, surgical procedures including the use of laser assisted flap surgeries are performed. Additionally, postgraduate students and faculty routinely perform regenerative periodontics including the use of bone grafts and membranes.
Facilities available in the Implants and Laser division:
Postgraduate students undergo comprehensive training in the placement of dental implants. The students are trained in the diagnosis and treatment planning of dental implants. Additionally, they also are trained in the placement of dental implants on patients. Diode laser unit along with comprehensive training to postgraduates for various treatment modalities.
Postgraduate students undergo comprehensive training in periodontal microsurgery using Loupes and Microscopes.
- Dr. Sangeetha Meddaiah, Third Rank in MDS University Examination, RGUHS, 2010.
- Dr. Shruthi Mohan, First Prize for Scientific Paper Presentation, INTEGRATE – 2012.
- Dr. Anish Varkey, Second Prize for Scientific Paper Presentation, INTEGRATE – 2012.
- Dr. Gopika Purushotham, First prize for Scientific paper presentation, ISP PG convention – 2015
- Ms. Varshita (III BDS), First prize for scientific paper presentation, Quest 2017.
- Ms. Gishelle (Intern), Second prize for scientific poster presentation, Quest 2017.
- Apically positioned flap in reconstruction of mutilated teeth. JIADS 2010, 4, vol 1: 63-66.
- Srinivas M, Sangeetha M, Girish S, Anil M, Pai J, and Amit W. Effect of Ketoprofen in Chronic Periodontitis – A Clinical double blind study. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology- Vol 15, Issue 3, Jul-Sep
- Progeria – A Race against time, Karnataka State Dental Journal. Volume 30, number 2, April - June 2011
- Structural and compositional changes of the human root surface after the application of diode laser – A Scanning Electron Microscopic study. International Journal of Laser Dentistry. Vol 1 : Issue 1: September 2011
- 9 Months follow up after treatment of a Traumatic Bone Cyst (TBC) in the Anterior Maxillary Region – A Rare Case Report. Indian Journal of Oral Sciences May- Aug 2011 Vol 2 Issue 2.
- Gingival depigmentation using diode laser – A Report of two cases. Kerala Dental Journal : Vol 34 ; No 4, 2011, 397-399
- Suragimath G, Rodrigues P, Moogla S, Anil M, Pai J. An Epidemiological study to assess the periodontal status in coffee workers of Coorg district using community periodontal index. BFUDJ, Volume 2, Issue 2, 2011
- Low Level Laser Therapy in Periodontics. Journal of Multidisciplinary Dental Research ; vol 1 : Issue 1 ; 2011
- Sreedhara A, Shobha P, Sapna M, Santhosh K. Proteomics – the new era of periodontics. Journal of dental sciences and research 2011; 2(2): 87-90.
- Santhosh R, Sateesh CP, Shridhar A. Peripheral ossifying fibroma- A rarity in elderly male. Journal of dental sciences and research 2011; 2(2): 1-5.
- Radhika B, Narayana V. Treatment of gingival melanin pigmentation using cryosurgery – series of case report. Journal of college of dental sciences-2011.
- Srinivas M, Kudva S, Jaishankar, Pai J, Walvekar A. White sponge nevus – A Report of two cases , Medicolegal updates 2012 : 12 ; issue 2.
- Kabilan V, Krishnaraj G, Senthil V, Daniel H. fine. Invitro efficacy of dially sulfides against the periodontopathogen Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy may 2012; volume 56 number 5.
- Srinivas M,Chethana K, Padma R, Girish S,Anil M,Pai J, and Amit W;A study to assess and compare the peripheral blood neutrophil chemotaxis in smokers and non smokers with healthy periodontium, gingivitis and chronic periodontitis. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology - Volume 16, Issue 1: Jan-Mar 2012
- Ganesh k. Velliyagounder k. Furgang D. Fine DH human salivary cystatin SA exhibits antimicrobial effect against aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans: Journal of periodontal research. 2012 october;47(5):661-73
- Rajanikanth,, Srinivas M, Girish S, Pai J, Amit W, Radhika B. Localised gingival enlargement. – A diagnostic dilemma. Indian Journal of Dentistry 2012/Volume 3/Issue
- Local drug delivery in periodontics. Coorg Dental Times (Official Publication of IDA coorg Branch); 2012:2;1-3.
- Stem cell – Nurturing nature way: Journal of Multidisciplinary Dental Research: Vol 1: Issue 1. January – March 2012
- Padma R, Saakshi G, Shrinivas M, Sreedhara A, Sachin M, Radhika B, Pai J. Comparative Evaluation of Oxygen saturation levels using Pulse Oxymeter during Non surgical and Surgical Periodontal Therapy in Chronic Periodontitis Patients. J Contemp Dent Pract 2012; 13 (5) 661 - 664.
- Sachin M, Radhika B, Tanveer M, Sreedhara A. Tissue engineering in periodontics – Journal of dental sciences and research 2012; 2(3): 1-4.
- Sreedhara A, Shobha P. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor for periodontal disease severity – National journal of integrated research in medicine 2012; 3(2): 132-135.
- Padma R, Usha P, Nagsri M, Aravind Kumar P, Chetan Kumar S, Sreedhara A, Anand T.Evaluation of aspertate amino transferase levels in saliva of patients with different periodontal conditions – a biochemical study – Indian journal of dental advancements 2012; 4(1): 757-762.
- Jyothi M, Sachin K, Sreedhara A, Vinesh K. Assessment of C-reactive protein (systemic marker) in chronic periodontitis related to cardiovascular disease. J Multi dent Res. 2012; 1 (2): 8-13.
- Jayaprakash S. Gadagi, Vijay K. Chava. Diagnosis and non-surgical periodontal management in congenital afibrinogenemia: report of a rare case. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry (2012);3:1–4.
- Jayaprakash S. Gadagi, E. Sugumari, A. Divya, Thamaraiselvan. Successful treatment of osseous lesion associated with palatoradicular groove using local drug delivery and guided tissue regeneration – A report of two cases. J Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences 2012; 4(2):S157-S160.
- Divya A., Kannan N, Patil R, Sarath V, Jayaprakash S Gadagi. Diagnostic significance of Peutz–Jeghers syndrome: A case report with oral physician’s perspective. Clinical Cancer Investigation Journal; 2012;1(2): 69-71.
- Kumar PKS., Elavarasu S., Jayaprakash S. The application of bone morphogenetic proteins to periodontal and peri-implant tissue regeneration: A literature review. J Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences 2012; 4(2): S427- S430.
- Black triangles in aesthetic zone: clinical consideration and treatment. Journal of Multidisciplinary Dental Research -2012
- The Scope of lasers in general dentistry. Coorg Dental Times (Official Publication of IDA Coorg Branch); 2012: 2; 12-14.
- Pai J, Smitha A, Padma R, Girish S, Sreedhara A, Vinesh K. Modified semilunar flap. A Case Series. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology Jan – Mar 2013.
- Pai J, Smitha A, Srinivas M, Padma R, Girish S, Amit W, Saakshi G, and Vinesh K. Comparitive evaluation of chlorhexidine varnish and chip in chronic periodontitis. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry | Apr-Jun 2013 | Vol 4 | Issue 2.
- Role of Growth factors in Periodontal wound healing and regeneration RGUHS J Dent Sciences, January 2013/vol 5/issue 1 page 54-57.
- Padma R, Ande S, Pavaluri A, Meganderao N, Chetan K, Sreedhar A. A split mouth randomized controlled study to evaluate the adjunctive effect of platelet rich fibrin to coronally advanced flap in Miller’s class – I and class – II recession defects. Journal of Indian Society of periodontology. 2013; 17(5): 631-636.
- Anupama S, Amit K, Subramaniam M, Biju T. Management of phenytoin induced gingival enlargement associated with cerebral palsy: International Journal of Health and Allied Sciences. Vol 2. Issue 2. Apr –Jun 2013.
- Sankaranarayanan S, Jetty N, Jayaprakash S. Gadagi, Abraham SJ, Preethy S, Baskar S. Periodontal bone regeneration by transplantation of autologous bone marrow mononuclear stem cells embedded in a novel thermo reversible gelation polymer - a case report with 36 months follow-up. J stem cells 2013;8(2):99-103.
- Jayaprakash S, Vijay K, Venkata R. Green tea extract as a local drug therapy on periodontitis patients with diabetes mellitus – A randomized case-–control study. J Indian Society Periodontol 2013;13:198-203.
- Veluswamy SK, Ganeshnarayan K, Makrowitz K, Schreiner H, Furgang D, Fine DH, Velliyagounder K. Lactoferrin knockout mice demonstrates greater susceptibility to Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans induced periodontal disease. Journal of periodontology 2013 November;84(11):1690-701
- Radhika B, Vandana KL. Comparative assessment of gingival thickness in pigmented and nonpigmented gingiva .Journal of international clinical dental research organization-2013:05(1).
- Indranil S, Sreedhara A, Padma R, Pai J, Sachin M, Radhika B, Vinesh K. Photodynamic Therapy – The Pragmatic Paradigm, NJIRM 2014; Vol. 5(4). July-August.
- Sachin M, Kirti P, Radhika B, Sreedhara A, Pai J, Rosemary J. Assessment of subjective intensity of pain during ultrasonic supragingival calculus removal: A comparative study. Journal of Indian society of Pai J, Sreedhara A, Vinesh K, Namitha J, Sachin M, Radhika B. Adjunctive use of Lasers in the treatment of peri-implantitis: A case series. Journal of Dental Implants, Jan-Jun 2014: vol 4 : Issue 1: 91-97
- Jagadish Pai BS, Padma R, Divya, Sachin M, Vinesh k, Annaji S, Alex M; Excision of Fibroma with diode laser: A case series. Journal of Dental Lasers: January-june 2014: Issue 1 :vol 8: 34- 38.
- Radhika K, Moogala S, JagdishPai BS, Girish S, Krishna P, Tejaswin P, ;Efficacy of hyaluronic acid in root coverage procedures as an adjunct to coronally advanced flap in Millers class I recession : A clinical study. JISP :vol 18 ; issue 6 : Nov – Dec 2014.
- Periowand: Photodynamic Therapy in Periodontics : Universal Research Journal of Dentistry · September-December 2014 · Vol 4 · Issue 3 133
- Padma R, Annaji S, Indeevar P , Indranil S, Chetan S;Vascular endothelial growth factor levels in gingival crevicular fluid before and after periodontal therapy. Jol of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014; 8(11): 75-79.
- Gadde p, Shakeel A, Akkaloori A, Zabirunnisa B, Uddarraju S, Gadagi J. An eagle’s eye on the Remuneration for Dentists Working in Primary and Community Health Centers in India. Iranian journal of public health 2014; 43(4):532-533.
- Zabirunnisa B, Jayaprakash S. Gadagi, P, Nagamalleshwari M, Jyothirmai K, Chandrasekhar T. Dental patient anxiety: Possible deal with Lavender fragrance. Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice 2014;3(3):100-103.
- Gadde P, Zabirunnisabegu M, Anithareddy A, Jayaprakash G, ShaKeelanJu M. Where Do We Stand Today? Towards Achieving “Universal Primary Education” in India: A Millennium Development Goal. Iranian journal of public health 2014;43(9):1307-1308.
- MdZabirunnisa Begum, Myla N, Pachava S, Jayaprakash S. Gadagi, Praveen G, Koneru J. Is body mass index truly related to dental caries? Survey on predisposing factors for overweight among Indian school children. Dental Hypotheses 2014;5(4):150-154.
- Padma R, Radhika B. Hyaluronic acid as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in chronic periodontitis – a randomized clinical trial. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research-2014:12(12) Piezosurgery: A True revolution in periodontics and implantology. . Journal of Dental Herald. 2014; 1(2): 034-037. Vinesh K, Vidya R, Indranil S, Vasudha K. Lemon grass oil and oral health. Journal of Dental Herald. 2014: 1(3);28-29.
- Alex M, Pai J , Stefano B; Effect of photobiomodulation on osseointegration and bone—A review. Journal of Laser Applications: volume 27, number 1 February 2015
- Annaji S, Indranil S, Padma R, Pai J, Sachin M, Vinesh K, Radhika B. Comparitive evaluation of the efficiency of curcumin gel with and without photoactivation as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis – A split mouth clinical and microbiological study – Journal of Natural science, Biology and Medicine: August 2015: volume 6:supplement 1, 2-9.
- Thamaraiselvan M, Elavarasu S, Thangakumaran S, Gadagi J, Arthie T. Comparative clinical evaluation of coronally advanced flap with or without platelet rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of isolated gingival recession. J Indian SocPeriodontol 2015;19:66-71.
- Gadde P, Zabirunnisa B, Anitha A, reddy A, Jayapraksh G, Shakeel A;. An Eagle’s Eye on ‘Gutkha Ban Legislation’ in India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2015;9(1):ZL02.
- Kith P, Padma R, Guddad S, Kamath V. Tnf alpha polymorphism in Periodontitis: A Review. National Journal of Integrated Research and Medicine; 2015: 6(6); 79-82.
- Jijin MJ, Rakaraddi M, Pai J, Jaishankar HP, Krupashankar R, Kavitha AP, Anjana R, Shobha R. Low-level laser therapy versus 5% amlexanox: a comparison of treatment effects in a cohort of patients with minor aphthous ulcers : Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016; 121:269-273)./li>
- Annaji S, Indranil S, Padma R, Pai J, Sachin M, Radhika B, Vinesh K. Efficacy of photodynamic therapy and LASERs as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of aggressive periodontitis – A clinical and microbiologic short term study. Jol of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2016; 10(2): 8-12.
- 5th ISP PG Convention 5TH-6TH MAY– 2006
- PREP 12TH -13TH OCT 2007.
- INTEGRATE IMPLANT WORKSHOP 20-21 FEB 2009.
- 3rd National ISPRP Conference, 30TH-31ST JULY 2010.
- Dental Intra Oral Photography workshop, 2011.
- Hands on Laser training programme in Laser dentistry, 12th-13th NOV 2011.
- Infection control and Listerine CDE Programme – August 9th, 2012.
- PRESTO - Restorative & Stomatognathics workshop February 2014
- PRESTO – workshop September 2015.
- Laser Integrate – 12th and 13th June 2015.
- Periodontal microsurgery – workshop - 20th and 21st May 2016
Areas of Research Interest:
- Host modulation therapy.
- Local drug delivery.
- Periodontal microbiology.
- Comparative evaluation of efficacy of Garlic and Propolis extracts against Candida Albicans with Amphhotericin-B as control: An In-vitro study.
- Comparative evaluation of efficacy of neem gel as an adjunct to SRP with SRP alone in the treatment of Chronic Periodontitis: A split mouth randomized controlled clinical & microbiological study.
- Evaluation of the efficacy of green coffee bean extract as local drug delivery system in the treatment of chronic periodontitis – A clinical study.
- A prospective randomized control trial comparing the efficacy of curcumin as a photo sensitizer in photodynamic therapy as an adjunct to SRP in patients with chronic periodontitis - A clinic microbial study.
- Comparative evaluation of levels of OPG and RANK-L before and after SRP and open flap debridement in patients with chronic periodontitis - A clinic biochemical study.
- Comparative evaluation of frenectomy procedures using diode laser and scalpel technique.
- Comaparative evaluation of clinical efficacy of diode laser and 5% calcium sodium phosphosilicate for treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity.
- Effect of low level laser therapy on aphthous ulcers. Comparative evaluation of mmp8 levels in gcf in chronic periodontitis patients before and after srp ,neem gel application, laser therapy as an adjunct- a clinico biochemical study.
- Efficacy of conventional laser irradiation versus a new method for gingival depigmentation (sieve method).
- Comparative evaluation of sclerostin levels in gingival crevicular fluid in the treatment of chronic periodontitis patients using diode laser as an adjunct Comparative evaluation of laser assisted surgical therapy and conventional surgical therapy for the treatment of intrabony defects.
- Effect of LLLT as an adjunct to srp on tnf alpha levels in gcf and glycosylated hb levels in type II diabetes with chronic generalised periodontitis – a clinicobiochemical study.
- Comparative evaluation of recession coverage technique- conventional surgical technique and pinhole surgical technique(novel approach) using collagen membrane: a clinical study.
- Comparative evaluation of osteoprotegrin levels in GCF in chronic periodontitis patients treated by SRP, LLLT and diode laser therapy.A clinicobiochemical study.
- Comparative evaluation of antibacterial efficacy of blackpepper alone and in combination with curcumin on periodontal pathogens. An invitro study.
- Comparative evaluation of the total antioxidant capacity in saliva of patients with chronic generalised periodontitis before and after SRP and flap surgery.A spectrophotometric analysis.
- Comparative evaluation of the effect of a connective tissue graft in combination with single flap approach with LLLT as an adjunct,in the regenerative treatment of intraosseous defect.
- Comparative evaluation of lipid peroxidation levels in GCF of chronic periodontitis patients with diabetes melitus before and after SRP with PDT as adjunct-A split mouth spectrophotometric study.
- Comparative evaluation of Salivary lipid peroxidation and total sialic acid levels in smokers & non smokers with chronic periodontitis- A spectrophotometric study.