is to train students in the practice of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery through provision of university based and hospital-based outpatient and clinical experience and emergency services based on sound scientific principled and didactic instruction while contributing to new knowledge through research and advancing the profession by way of professional service.
Dr. PRASANNA KUMAR
Professor and Head
Dr. ADARSH S. INDRA
Dr. Adarsh S. Indra, Professor and Head, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery finished his BDS from Bapuji Dental College, Davangere in 1994 and his MDS (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery) from the same college in 1999.
He further specialized in the field of Cleft and Orthognathic Surgery from Mangalore.
Dr. VINOD THANGASWAMY
Dr. S Vinod Thangaswamy, Professor of Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences, Virajpet is a versatile operating surgeon in various fields of Maxillofacial Surgery.
He has done his undergraduate in University, Chennai in the year 2004 and post-graduation in MR Ambedkar Dental College in the year 2007.
He has done his Fellowship in International Trauma and critical care anesthesia and successfully completed the course in 2008 and 2018.
He has been awarded as the “Outstanding and Maxillofacial Surgeon of South India by “Indian Dental Awards in the year 2017.
He has more than 20 national and inter-national publications to his credit. He is specialized in field of trauma and critical care management, surgical pathologies and facial esthetic surgey.
Dr. MAMATA K S
Dr. Mamata K S completed her BDS in 1998 from Sri Siddhartha dental college, Tumkur and MDS in 2015 from JSS Dental College, Mysore. She has presented papers at national conference. She has articles published in various national and international journals to her credit.
Dr. REMA RAJAH
- Customised Teaching Modules according to the needs of the individual by adequately staffed faculty.
- Advanced Basic Science Teaching Programme to strengthen the foundation of surgical training.
- Dry Lab Training on skull for trauma and orthognathic procedures.
- Encouragement for Problem Based Learning (PBL).
- CCE (Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation) Model for academic progress and monitoring to avoid stress related to exams.
- Widest spectrum of surgical training including all routine maxillofacial procedures.
- Development of Social skills including organizing and conducting of camps.
- In-House training For Implantology, Hair Transplant, Advanced Cardiac Life Support on Mannequins etc.
- Multidisciplinary approach to Head and Neck Pathology, Facial Deformity and Cleft Palate.
- Dissertation in futuristic surgical topics in demand.
- Being one among the 3 centers in Karnataka to have Cleft Lip and Palate surgical centre which is accredited to DCKH (Deutche Cleft Kinder Hilfe), Freiberg, Germany and Swiss Smile, Switzerland.
- Emphasis on Facial Plastic Surgery including Hair Transplantation, Fat Grafting, Rhinoplasty, and office based procedures like Botox, Dermal Fillers, Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels.
- Adequate exposure to CBCT, Software Planning for Implants and Orthognathic Surgery, Reconstruction, Piezosurgery, Atraumatic Exodontia Techniques, Etc…
- Tissue Engineering, Oculoplastic Surgery and Microvascular nerve repair work being developed in the department to provide cutting edge training to the postgraduates.
- Thrust on research with collaboration with Hong Kong Dental School, Hong Kong and Bailor’s School Of Dentistry, U.S.A.
- Student exchange program with Hong Kong Dental School and Bailor’s Dental School.
- Friendly staff who are well honed in their skills to train future surgeons.
- Dr. Piyush Bhandari, Second Place for Poster Presentation in the 3rd Karnataka State Chapter of AOMSI, held at Manipal in 2013.
- Dr. Madhurjya, Dr. Nitin Pratap, Dr. Ranjitha, First Place in the IAOMS Review Course Quiz Competition held at R.V. Dental College, Bangalore in 2013.
- Dr. Nissy Susan Thomas, First place for poster presentation at ‘Gnathopaedia- A National Symposium 2017’ held at Manipal.
- Adarsh SI, Thomas PJ, Megha P. Pleomorphic Adenoma of Heterotopic Parotid Salivary Gland Tissue: A Case Report. Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Kerala State. 2010; 3(2):.
- Nithin VM, Sai Krishna, Raghunath N. Severe skeletal class III malocclusion treated by orthodontics and orthognathic surgery –a case report. APOS Trends Orthod. 2011;1(2):5.
- Indra AS, Biswas PP, Vineet VT, Yeshaswini T. Botox as an adjunct to orthognathic surgery for a case of vertical maxillary excess. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2011;10(3):266-270.
- Megha P, Thomas PJ, Rajanikanth BR, Kariappa MC. Electrocardiographic and hemodynamic responses to epinephrine containing local anesthetics in hypertensive and normotensive patients in out-patient oral surgery. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kerala state. 2011.
- Multiple Neurofibromatosis. JOTOMS. 2011; 1(1):
- Jaishankar HP, Shashidara R, Aparna HG, Krupashankar R, Vijayakumar A. Metastatic thyroid carcinoma of mandible. Dental Follicle. 2011;6(4):
- Jaishankar HP, Aparna HG, Megha P, Sunil SM. Sialolithiasis- a report of an unusual case with review. Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Kerala State. 2011;4 (1):
- Shashidara R, Aparna HG, Kavitha AP. Lymphoepithelial cyst of the submental region- A case report and review of literature. RGUHS J Dent Sci 2012; 4(2): 94-98.
- Siddappa A, Sunil SM, Kumar M, Selvamani M. Compound composite odontoma associated with un-erupted permanent canine: A case report. J of Indian Acad Dent Spec Res. 2014;1(2):74-76.
- Aparna HG, Shashidara R. Congenital epulis in a newborn: A case report, immunoprofiling and review of literature. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2014;24(4):359-63.
- Ashwin S, Sunil SM, Manoj K, Selvamani M. Nasopalatine Duct Cyst-A Case Report, IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2014;13(11): 46-48.
- Ashwin S, Dinoop RS, Sunil SM. Dental Caries Vaccine: An Update. J Dent Pract Res. Jan- Jun 2014.
- Sunil SM, Babu BG, Deepthi S, Veerabhadrappa AC, Vadavadagi SV, Punde P. Botulinum toxin for the treatment of hyperfunctional lines in the forehead. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2015;5(4):276 – 82.
- Singh S, Gupta K. Diminution of pain from needle insertion in palatal mucosa by two topical anaesthetics: a comparative study between lidocaine/prilocaine(EMLA) and benzocaine. J Adv Med Dent Scie Re. 2015;3(3):9-15.
- Rakshith H, Kaiwan KS. Rehabilitation of surgically resected maxilla using zygomatic implants and hybrid prosthesis. Int J Recent Sci Res. 2016; 7(2):8762 – 8765.
- Piyush MB. Fracture of an Intravenous cannula in the Vein during removal: A case report, Nitte University J Health Sci. 2016;6(2):79-81.
- Regional Symposium: ‘Cognathics’ on Jan –Feb 2011.
- Regional Symposium: ‘Oral and Maxillofacial Oncology Management in India- An Integrated Approach’ on 28th May 2012.
- CDE Programme: ‘Head and Neck Cancer Prevention and Treatment- Changing paradigms & evolving concepts’ on 18th August 2012.
- Regional Symposium: ‘Cognathics II – A Pan Global Symposium’ on September 2013.
- CDE Programme: ‘Facial Esthetic Surgery’ on May 2015.
Areas of Research Interest:
- Bone regeneration in Maxillofacial region.
- Cleft Lip anomalies.
- Piezosurgery and its relevance in Maxillofacial surgery.
- Dental Implants and immediate loading.
- Antiaging therapy for the face.
- Assessment of Airway Changes Following Ankylosis Release.
- Piezo-Lingual Split --- A Novel Technique for Impacted Mandibular Third Molar Removal.
- Comparision of Efficacy of Bupivacaine and Ropivacaine in Post-Operative Pain Control after Palatoplasty.
- Use of Dermis Fascia Graft for Lip Augmentation.
- Bone-Ring Technique in Implant Surgery.
- Intraoral Vertical Sagittal Ramus Osteotomy-Evaluation of a Novel Surgical Technique for Mandibular Dysgnathia.
- Interrupted Vs.Vertical Mattress Suturing Technique For Lip Revision In Cleft Lip Patients: A Comparative Study
- Role of PRF in Palatal Fistula Closure.
- Role of PRF in Soft Tissue Injuries.
- Rhytidectomy Approach for Condylar Access with and Without Tumescent Anaesthesia.
- A New Minimally Invasive Surgical Approach For The Treatment Of Low Or High Condylar Fractures.
- Cannulated Lag Screws-A Revised Technique For The Fixation of Mandibular Fractures.
- Role Of PRF (Platelet Rich Fibrin) In Socket Preservation After Removal Of Impacted Mandibular Third Molars.
- Lingual Split Technique for Removal of Impacted Mandibular Third Molar Using Peizo Electric Device.
- Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) and Its Emerging Role in Maxillofacial Surgery-An Excellent Bio Active Modifier.
- Bony Press-Fit Closure of Oro-Antral Fistulas: A Technique for Pre-Sinus Lift Repair and Secondary Closure.
- Neurosensory Disturbances in Patients Undergoing Mandibular Setback - A Comparative Study between BSSO and IVSRO.
- A Photographic Assessment of Nose after Cleft Rhinoplasty in Complete Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Patients.
- Cephalometric Analysis Of Hard And Soft Tissue Changes Following AMOD In
- Cleft Maxillary Hypoplasia.