Is to provide training to students in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology with a three- pronged approach of University based curriculum supplemented with Problem based learning and Critical analyses. This approach is designed so as to enable not only academic and clinical proficiency, but also potentiate the intellectual, rational and social ability of the student, resulting in Oral Pathologists who will excel in patient care.
Professor and Head
Dr. Shashidara R. completed his BDS from Government Dental College Bangalore in 1998 and his MDS (Oral Pathology and Microbiology) in 2001 from Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere. He is the honorary treasurer of International Dental Educationists Association (IDEA) and the Joint Secretary of Indian Dental Association, Coorg branch. Dr. Shashidara R. is also a PG guide with several completed and ongoing research projects.
Dr. ASHWIN S
Dr. VIJAYALAKSHMI A
Dr. SHWETHA SINGH
Dr. Swetha Singh.S completed her BDS in 2007 from Krishnadevaraya College of Dental Sciences and MDS in 2014 from Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences affiliated to RGUHS. She has won the best presenter award at First National Midterm Conference IAOMP and best paper presentation at First South Zone Convention on Maxillofacial Pathology and Diagnosis. She has numerous articles published in various international journals to her credit.
Dr. ARCHANA KRISHNAN
Dr Archana Krishnan completed her BDS in 2013 from Sri Ramakrishna Dental College and Hospital (Tamil Nadu Dr. M. G. R medical University), Coimbatore and MDS in 2016 from Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences (RGUHS), Virajpet. Following this she pursued and completed her fellowship in Forensic Odontology from S. D. M College of Dental Sciences and Hospital in 2017.
She has won best paper and poster presentations at both under- and post graduate levels, and also shadowed at the Department of Pathology, Royal Derby Hospital, and Derby, UK.
- Caters to hospital patients and general public.
- One of the few centres equipped with a biochemical analyser.
- Accreditation from Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Advanced biochemical tests are also conducted which include serum lipid profile, urea, uric acid, creatinine, alkaline phosphatase, SGOT, SGPT, total protein, albumin and bilirubin. Serological tests for HIV and HBsAg is also conducted.
- The biochemical analyser is also used to conduct few very specific research oriented tests for salivary diagnosis and determination. This includes pH determination, salivary nitrate levels and buffering capacity.
- Caters to patient in college and also to referrals from private practitioners.
- Special histochemical and immunohistochemical staining is performed.
- Hard tissue analysis is also undertaken.
- Cytosmear analysis.
- Cytomorphometry is performed utilising Biowizard De-Winter software.
- Aerobic and anaerobic culture is performed with colony count estimation.
- Antibiotic sensitivity is undertaken.
- Isolation and identification of microbial species.
- Many research projects are currently underway in Oral Microbiology.
- Dr. Jagdish V Hosmani, First place in poster presentation, Bangalore, 2008.
- Dr. Thejaswini Shantharam, First place for best paper at ORAMPS, Davangere, 2012.
- Dr. Swetha Singh, First place for best paper at ORAMPS, Davangere, 2012.
- Dr. Swetha Singh, First place for best presenter in the 1st IAOMP midterm conference, Chennai, 2013.
- Dr. Ebi Scindiya, Best Research Paper: ‘Awareness of Forensic Odontology among dental students’ at the 13th IAFO National conference, Mysore.
- Dr. Sreeshyla HS, Fifth rank in MDS examinations conducted by RGUHS in 2010.
- Dr. Vanishree Haragannavar, Second rank in MDS examinations conducted by RGUHS in 2014. Dr. Archana V.K, Third rank in MDS examinations conducted by RGUHS in 2016.
- Girish S, Krishnaprasad KR, Srinivas M, Sudheendra US, Shashidara R. Effect of carbonated drink on excisional palatal wound healing: A study on Wistar rats. Ind J Dent Res 2010; 21(3): 330-3.
- Shashidara R, Sudheendra US. Kitchen microwave assisted accelerated method for fixation and processing of oral mucosal biopsies: A pilot study. World J Dent, Jan- Mar 2011; 2(1): 17-21.
- Jaishankar HP, Shashidara R, Jayanth BS, Aparna HG, Krupashankar, Vijay Kumar A. Metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma of the mandible. Dental Follicle 2011; 6(4).
- Sudheendra US, Shashidara R, Chakki AB, Sreeshyla HS. Cystic Pleomorphic Adenoma of minor salivary glands. Int J Dent Clin 2011; 3(2): 107-8.
- Kudva S, Bindiya, Shashidhar R, Anand T, Aparna. Ancient Neurilemmoma with deceptive clinico-pathological presentation- A case report. Medico-Legal Update 2011; 11(2): 76- 78.
- Yogesh T, Narayan T, Shreedhar B, Shashidara R, Leeky Mohanty. The expression of E-cadherin and cathepsin-D in normal oral mucosa, oral epithelial dysplasia and oral squamous cell carcinoma: A comparative analysis between immunohistochemistry and routine histopathology. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2011 Sep; 15(3): 288-94.
- Vijaykumar A, Jaishankar HP, Jayanth BS, Shashidara R. Multiple unicameral bone cysts of mandible associated with Amelogenesis imperfecta. e - j dent 2011; 1(4): 97-99.
- Kallianpur S, Sudheendra US, Jadwani S, Kasetty S. Multicystic variant of calcifying cystic odontogenic tumour associated with odontome - Report of a case and review. Ann Essences Dent, Jan- Mar 2011; 3(1): 102-108.
- Reddy R, Jain U, Sudheendra US, Agarwal N, Sowmya.K, Reddy RMS. Idiopathic Gingival Enlargement- An Interdisciplinary Approach. Int J Dent Clin 2011; 3(1): 92-3.
- Kallianpur S, Desai A, Kasetty S, Sudheendra US, Joshi P. An anthropometric analysis of facial height, arch length and palatal rugae in the Indian and Nepalese population. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2011; 3(1): 33-7.
- Shashidara R, Jayanth BS, Aparna HG, Kavitha AP. Lymphoepithelial cyst of the submental region- A case report and review of literature. RGUHS J Dent Sci 2012; 4(2): 94-98.
- Aparna S, Srirangarajan S, Malgi V, Setlur KP, Shashidhar R, Setty S, Thakur S. A Comparative Evaluation of the Antibacterial Efficacy of Honey In Vitro and Antiplaque Efficacy in a 4-Day Plaque Regrowth Model In Vivo: Preliminary Results. J Periodontol 2012; 83(9): 1116-1121.
- Kallianpur S, Sudheendra US, Kasetty S, Joshi P. Dens Invaginatus (Type IIIb). J Oral Maxillofac Pathol, May-Aug 2012; 16 (2): 262- 5.
- Kasetty S, Khan S, Sudheendra US, Gupta S, Tijare M, Kallianpur S, Ragavendra TR. Cancer therapy: A continuance of health burden. World J Oncol 2012; 3(5): 205-209.
- Sreeshyla HS, Shashidara R, Sudheendra US. Morphometric evaluation of AgNORs in odontogenic cysts. Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 2013 Oct; 35(5):273-7.
- Shobha BVP, Ashwini RSR, Jaishankar HP, Shashidara R. Acanthomatous ameloblastoma treated with hemimandibulectomy. J Adv Med Dent Sci Res. 2013;2(1):114-19.
- Sudheendra US, Kasetty S, Mathur V, Kallianpur S, Joshi P. 2D Barcodes: A Novel and Simple Method for Denture Identification. J Forensic Sci. 2013; 58(1): 170-2.
- Sudheendra US, Choudaha N, Kasetty S, Joshi P, Kallianpur S, Tijare M. Stromal myofibroblasts in nonmetastatic and metastatic oral squamous cell carcinoma: An immunohistochemical study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol, May-Aug 2013; 17: 190- 4.
- Jain M, Sudheendra US, Gupta S, Ragavendra TR, Kasetty S. Craniofacial and dental anomalies among mentally challenged children. JIAPHD. 2013; 11(2): 58-63.
- Sowmya K, Sudheendra US, Khan S, Nagpal N, Prathamesh SJ. Assessment of morphological changes and DNA quantification: An in vitro study on acid-immersed teeth. J Forensic Dent Sci, Jan- June 2013; 5(1): 42-6.
- Jain M, Kasetty S, Sudheendra US, Jain N, Khan S, Desai A. Apoptosis and its significance in oral diseases: An update. J Oral Dis, 2013 Article ID 401049.
- Shashidara R, Sreeshyla HS, Sudheendra US. Chemiluminescence: A diagnostic adjunct in oral precancer and cancer: A review. J Cancer Res Therap 2014; 10(3); 487-91.
- Sudheendra US, Sreeshyla HS, Shashidara R. Vital tissue staining in the diagnosis of oral precancer and cancer: Stains, technique, utility, and reliability. Clin Cancer Investig J 2014; 3: 141-5.
- Sreeshyla HS, Srinivas J, Sudheendra US, Shashidara R. Optical techniques- The advanced non-invasive fore frontiers in oral cancer diagnosis. J Multi Dent Res. 2014; 2(2): 72-78
- Sreeshyla HS, Raju Shashidara, Udyavara Sridhara Sudheendra. Diagnostic aids in oral precancer and cancer. Ind J Multidiscip Dent. 2014; 4(2): 928-934.
- Aparna HG, Jayanth BS, Shashidara R. Congenital epulis in a newborn: A case report, immunoprofiling and review of literature. Ethiop J Health Sci 2014 oct;24(4):359-63.
- Shashidara R, Sudheendra US, Aparna HG, Vanishri CH, Ketki S. Chromatography paper: A novel approach to estimate the salivary flow. J Adv Clin Res Insights (2014), 1, 7–9.
- V Kumar, Jaishankar HP, Shashidara R. Klestadt’s cyst with radiographic contrast medium: A case report. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8(10): ZD33.
- Shashidara R, Sudheendra US, Aparna HG, Vanishri CH, Roshni V. Effect of sorbitol on salivary flow rate. J Adv Clin Res Insights. 2014; 1: 14–17.
- Joseph P, Shashidara R, Priyanka RP, Jaishankar HP. Follicular lymphoma of submandibular salivary gland. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014;18(4):163-66.
- Aparna HG, Kavitha AP, Jayanth BS, Shashidara R. Canalicular adenoma of parotid gland. A case report. J Adv Clin Res Insights. 2014; 2:61-63.
- Jain M, Kasetty S, Sudheendra US, Tijare M, Khan S, Desai A. Assessment of Tissue Eosinophilia as a Prognosticator in Oral Epithelial Dysplasia and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma - An Image Analysis Study. Pathol Res Int. Volume 2014, Article ID 507512, Nagpal N, Sudheendra US, Prasant MC, Sharma I, Mittal M, Mathur V. Tumour markers: An updated review. J Res Adv D ent 2014; 3:3S:11-21.
- Kallianpur S, Jadwani S, Misra B, Sudheendra US. Ameloblastic carcinoma of the mandible: Report of a case and review. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2014; 18: 96-102.
- Jain M, Kasetty S, Sudheendra US. Plastination: An intricate and real display of oral hard and soft tissue specimens. J Res Pract Dent. 2014 Article ID 639870.
- Guruprasad L, Rao K, Uma Devi HS, Priya NS. Fibrous dysplasia of right maxilla: A case report and review of literature. CODS J Dent. 2014;6(1): 49-53.
- Hosdurga RR, Rao SN, Jose J, Rompicharla NC, Shakil M, Shashidara R. Evaluation of the efficacy of 2% Curcumin gel in the treatment of experimental periodontitis. Pharmacognosy Res. 2015; 6 (4): 326-33.
- Mukunda A, Narayan TV, Sridhar B, Shashidara R, Mohanty L. Accelerated staining technique using kitchen microwave oven. Ind J Pathol Microbiol 2015; 58 (3): 316.
- Shashidara R, Sudheendra US, Aparna HG, Vanishri CH, Mirshad R, Latha D. Wrinkle-free tissue sections. J Adv Clin Res Insights (2015), 2, 78–81.
- Shashidara R, Sudheendra US, Aparna HG, Vanishri CH, Archana VK. Pome “Grenade” - Antimicrobial potency of pomegranate peel extract against Streptococcus mutans. J Adv Clin Res Insights (2015), 2, 204–206.
- Celestina DP, Shashidara R, Vanishree CH, Pradeep S, Sudheendra US, Aparna HG, Sheela P, Suhas RN, Anu SA. Assessment of Tumor Associated Tissue Eosinophilia (TATE) in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Using Carbol Chromotrope Stain. Int. J. Odontostomat. 9(1):91-95, 2015.
- Kurtukoti AJ, Sharma P, Swamy DF, Shashidara R, Swamy EB. CT morphometry of the internal anatomy of mandibular second primary molars. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2015;8(3):202-207.
- Hosdurga RR, Rao SN, Edavanputhalath R, Jose J, Rompicharla NC, Shashidara R. Evaluation of the efficacy of 2% Ocimum sanctum gel in the treatment of experimental periodontitis. Int J Pharmac Invest. 2015; 5 (1): 35.
- Damodar, Vanishree H, Aparna HG. Papillary cyst adenoma lymphomatosum: A case report and review. J Med Rad Path Surg (2015), 1, 17-19.
- Abhishek KN, Harshal NS, George S, Chaitanya KH, Prashant P, Swetha SS. Management of biomedical waste an exploratory study. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(9):72-4.
- Aparna HG, Sheshagiri M, Muddaiah S, Shashidara R. In vitro antifungal activity of different components of Centratherum anthelminticum and Ocimum sanctum seed oils and their synergism against oral pathogenic fungi. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2016 Spring; 10(2): 92–98.
- Sudheendra US, Shashidara R, Aparna HG, Vanishri CH, Latha D, Mirshad R. Hibiscus: A different hue in histopathology. J Med Radiol Pathol Surg. 2016; 2: 9–11.
- Namitha N, Sunil M, Shetty BK, Shashidara R, Gautham R. Evaluation of the effects of three bracket types on periodontal status. J Res Adv Dent. 2016;5(3S):190-197.
- Krishnan L, Karpagaselvi K, Kumarswamy J, Sudheendra US, Santosh KV, Patil A. Inter- and intra-observer variability in three grading systems for oral epithelial dysplasia. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2016; 20: 261-8
- Swetha SS, Choksi K, Desai S, Malu R, Choksi A. Medical Management of Oral Lichen Planus: A Systematic Review. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016;10(2):ZE10-15.
- Kavitha AP, Jaishankar HP, Shashidara R. Correlation between salivary glucose and blood glucose and the implications of salivary factors on the oral health status in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. J Int Soc Prev Comm Dent. 2017; 7(1): 28-33.
- X National Postgraduate Convention of IAOMP on 16th and 17th June, 2010.
- CLIN-FORENSICON 2010, on 20th and 21st November 2010.
- Regional Symposium: Oral & Maxillofacial Oncology Management in India: An Integrated Approach conducted on 28th May 2012. Slide discussion held by Dr. Kavitha, Bharath Hospital and Institute of Oncology, Mysore.
- Hands on Workshop: ‘Bite Marks Analysis’ held on 4th& 5th of December 2012, conducted by Dr. Ashith Acharya.
- CDE Programme: ‘Masterclass on Oral Mucosal Lesions’ by Dr. Michael M. Bornstein on 08-08-2013.
- Training programme: ‘Problem based Learning’ on 25 and 26, September, 2013.
- Hands on Workshop: ‘Age estimation’ on 21-11-2013 during the IDA 41st Karnataka State Dental Conference held in Coorg.
- Slide Seminar: ‘Masterclass on Histopathological Impressions 1’ by Dr. Anita Borges, 22-23, March, 2014.
- Slide Seminar: ‘Masterclass on Histopathological Impressions 2’ by Dr. Anita Borges, 15-16, August, 2014.
- Slide Seminar: ‘Masterclass on Histopathological Impressions 3’ by Dr. Anita Borges, 13-14, March 2015.
- CDE Programme: ‘Master class 4’ by Dr. Tilakaratne 22-26, June 2015.
- Slide Seminar: ‘Masterclass on Histopathological Impressions 5’ by Dr. Anita Borges, 16-17, October 2015.
- Slide Seminar: ‘Masterclass on Histopathological Impressions 6’ by Dr. Anita Borges, 11-13, May 2017.
Areas of Research Interest:
- Oral Mycology.
- Oral Precancer and Cancer.
- Oral microbiome of relevance to Dental caries and Periodontopathies.
- Forensic Odontology.
- Disinfection of dental unit effluents using Ozonated water- A microbiologic study.
- Assessment of Apoptosis in Oral Lichen Planus by TUNEL assay.
- Comparative expression of ribosomal S6 Kinase 2 (RSK2) in selected epithelial odontogenic tumors: a possible relationship to histogenesis. Comparision of the anti- microbial effect of white tea and green tea, on streptococcus mutans and evaluation of their effect on salivary pH.
- Colonization of streptococcus mutans and pH of saliva in dental caries and their association with severity of periodontal diseases before and after therapy.
- Antimicrobial efficacy of cranberry and probiotic based chocolates on streptococcus mutans. An in vitro study.
- Effect of curcumin on candida albicans. An in-vitro microbiological study.
- Inhibition of streptococcus mutans by isolated soil fungi. An in-vitro study.
- Organic replacements for tissue fixation and processing.
- Influence of methodology and techniques on bitemark analysis.